Saturday, September 19, 2009

A perfect day ruined from early morning

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/114189

http://www.docuinter.net/en/net_archive.php?id=563

Before you ask me how, I'd have to tell you HBO and the Czechs doing the film did an amazing job!

I feel immense bitterness, and the feeling of awkwardness is overwhelming. I wish I hadn't seen this documentary. "Welcome to North Korea" is not for the fainthearted, nor for someone ignorant of history. But it is a documentary worth watching!

Some tourists from the Czech Republic( former communist country) visit North Korea, the totalitarian regime that has perfected its fear-inducing techniques. Orwell's novels 1984 and Animal Farm are kids' stories compared to what is going on in this communist country.

The country is depressing through its communist-type buildings, through its incredibly oppressing atmosphere. The Czechs felt watched and spied on at every step. A wrong action undertaken by them would have lead to their guides being punished, probably thrown in a concentration camp or even worse, killed. Things like these happen in such regimes. Innocent people disappear without a trace just because someone thought they said/did something wrong. Politically wrong. Freedom of speech does not exist there. The closest image I have in mind for anyone who has not experienced communism are concentration camps in World War II.

Oh and the blackouts. They cut electricity in order to...I don't know, save it, or induce more fear...But the horrible statues and mausoleums dedicated to communism have plenty of lights. So I'd take my second guess - they cut electricity to induce more fear.

Food. I don't know how the heck, but food has been a problem in most communist countries, due to poor administration of crops. Well in North Korea the situation is tragic, and probably the worst possible.

The feeling of anger and deep frustration is still overwhelming, even if some hours passed since I have seen this documentary. I feel like I took an imaginary trip to hell, the deepest pits of hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment